Friday, August 19, 2011

Just Thinkin'

I spent today with Ben's Aunt Linda and cousin Alicia. It was great-we had lunch at a park near Ben's job, went to OMSI, Alicia had her first ever Build-A-Bear experience, and we finished the day over pizza and pop.
Now I'm cuddling Jubilee into the Land of Nod and thinking.
Have you ever been in a moment of awkward silence? I didn't have any of those moments today, but the lack of them did get me curious.
It seems like I have no trouble being with people who like to talk. I'm good at listening and answering questions. Basically, if someone else is initiating a conversation I'm good to go.
I also have no problem being with people who don't like to talk. I'm comfortable with mutual quiet.
The problem starts when the other person is not comfortable with mutual quiet but doesn't know what to say to me. I botch these situations up further by asking things like, "So, do you like dogs?" or, "I heard that drinking a whole gallon of milk in one sitting will make you barf", and,"I bet you've never been licked by a toddler."
I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not always good at starting a conversation. And I know when things start to feel awkward.
I do love when people get excited about milk-induced vomiting though. Now there is a lasting relationship in the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment